Dorset Business Angels (DBA) provide quality, private equity investment opportunities to local High Net Worth (HNW) and Sophisticated Investors (SI). And help early stage businesses find equity capital (especially southern English, our local area). We do this by bringing our investors and entrepreneurs together to accelerate the growth of early stage businesses. We are a private limited company by guarantee, funded from investment commissions. We're part of UKBAA and proud of our high profile - Sponsors and Partners
We are Business Angels
What are business angels?
- All HNW and / or Sophisticated Investors - more on this below.
- Individuals willing to risk their own cash as seed capital for early stage businesses.
- Successful “exited” entrepreneurs.
- Retired senior executives.
- Family or inherited money.
- Those who are involved with their own business with access to funds.
- Those willing to invest time as well as cash.
- Wanting to “give back” and have fun!
See Don McQueen our Chairman explains this at our recent Conference in this short video.
Our Pitch Events
- 4 pitch events per year – Royal Bath Hotel - see our events page
- March, May, September and November; plus social events
- Pitches plus investors dinner - 4 pitchers per event; 15 min presentation; 10 min Q&A; 5 min private investor debate
- Opportunity to learn
- Opportunity to invest and enjoy the event
Selecting Business Presentation Pitchers
The business plans introduced are from our investor network, from another Angel network, from local banks, local accountants or legal firms or advisors. Values may range from £50k upwards however this is only a guideline. Investors usually have a portfolio of ten or more investments to maximise opportunities and manage risk, investing with others into the businesses. A lead investor may act as sponsor, often initiating the due diligence. And although our ambitions for Dorset are big, the investments individuals make can be smaller than you think (£5-10K). Other key points include:
- Valuation and amount needed.
- Stage of business – pre or post revenues
- Market they are addressing
- What’s the problem the business is solving?
- Is there any IP?
- Is the team able to implement the plan?
- Do I know this industry / market?
- Can angels add value post deal?
Post Event Follow-Up
- Meeting with the team on their site.
- NDA and detailed business plans.
- Negotiating valuation.
- Agreeing investment team and amount to invest.
- Due diligence.
- Investment legal documents.
Investment and Beyond
- Investor meetings, if not legal directors.
- Mentoring of management team.
- EIS and SEIS certificates, getting your cash back.
- Reviewing reports.
- Help with raising further funding / exit.
- Give as much or as little of your time.
- Build a private investment portfolio.
- Satisfaction, enjoyment from involvement in the business
UK Business Angels Association
Dorset Business Angels are registered members of the UK Business Angels Association UKBAA, the national trade association representing angel and early stage investment in the UK. This membership benefits includes:
- access deal flow, regular exchange between investors and those engaged in the angel finance market
- access to Government(s), key opinion and decision makers
- raising awareness and promoting angel investment
- promoting good practice and establishing industry standards
- as a resource of information, expertise, market intelligence, key trends for both investors, entrepreneurs and their advisers.
- Dorset Business Angels then passes all this both directly and via events to its members. Join now to enjoy these benefits. More on our membership page.
Sponsors and Partners
Dorset Business Angels has high profile supporters we are proud to partner who can also help in the investment and entrepreneurial journey, they are:
- Investec Wealth and Investment, who specialise in investing for individual clients
- Saffery Champness a top 20 firm of Chartered Accountants
- Laceys Solicitors leading law firm
- Bright Blue Day top digital agency
- Bournemouth Council are a loyal supporter, particularly the Economic Development Team
And in addition our members can enjoy member benefits from our partnership with:
- Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra - world-class orchestra on our doorstep
Proposals will have been reviewed by our screening committee.
EIS and SEIS tax incentives will be provided where possible.
Social and Networking
Angel networks are an excellent source of business networking.
Commercial Collaboration, Mentoring and Training
To assist companies raising money, investors and reduce risk, Dorset Business Angels has already initiated collaboration across a wide range of commercial and business groups including further education, the major banks, local accountancy groups and strategic partners.
High Net Worth or Sophisticated Individuals
James Paget our FD any questions?
These are Investors that are deemed to be able to look after themselves in terms of understanding investment opportunities.
Before 2005 Investors would have to register with the FSA (now the FCA) and have proven that they are suitable to receive investment offers. Not necessarily suitable in that they were reputable, but that they had experience in evaluating investments, or could afford a potential loss.
Since then Investors are able to self-certify that they are both knowledgeable and that they understand the risks involved.
In doing so you are actually giving away some protection, since there will be no redress from the FCA and you will have positioned yourself as knowing what you are doing in any court case.
So why would you self-certify? Well, many business angel networks and people with opportunities, are only allowed to approach or discuss investment with Investors who have self-certified. Often that is a condition that must be meet before any information on investment opportunities are given.
The following define what is meant by a High Net Worth or Sophisticated Investor
At least one of the following should apply:
- a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least the last six months before the date you self-certify;
- you have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the two years before the date you self-certify;
- you are working, or have worked in the two years before the date you self-certify, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in providing finance for small and medium enterprises;
- you are currently, or have been in the two years before the date you self-certify, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million.
And what about a High Net Worth Individual?
You should only self-certify as a high-net worth individual if at least one of the following applies:
- you had, during the financial year immediately preceding the date you self-certify, an annual income to the value of £100,000 or more;
- you held, throughout the financial year immediately preceding the date you self-certify, net assets to the value of £250,000 or more (excluding certain types of assets).
- You will also have to acknowledge that you have given up certain rights.
Normally the self-certification forms have a section where you say you understand that you can receive financial promotions that may not have been approved by the FCA and that you know you can lose property / money from such investments.
Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (“the Act”)
Under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (as amended 2005) investors must "self-certify" by meeting simple criteria as "high net worth" or "sophisticated" investors. Therefore, any investor should read and sign the documentation linked below, either a High Net a worth Investor Certificate or a Sophisticated Investor Certificate, as is appropriate.
We also wish to point out that companies or individuals seeking investment through the Dorset Business Angels must ensure that the information presented to potential investors is neither inaccurate or misleading. They are, accordingly, similarly advised to seek guidance from someone authorised under the Act.
FSMA 2000 amended 2005
HNW Investor Certificate
Sophisticated Investor Certificate
Any Questions contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
or James Paget our FD will help on 01202 533339